Now I don't really intend to feature a lot of products here and I don't plan on starting a dedicated blog for product reviews because I don't have heaps (and I also don't want to condone my makeup/skincare (over)spending). As I told my friend Vanessa, who rubbed off some of her makeup obsessions on me, my OCD will hopefully prevent me from spending way too much on these pretty sparkly things (more on my OCD later, I'm not OC as in just being anal but I am actually moderately obsessive-compulsive and will probably see a shrink about it soon now that I have Medicare!).
Anyway, on to Kiehl's! I didn't really own anything Kiehl's until I got a sample from my Nordstrom buys. To me Kiehl's was a pricey brand and though it has pretty potent products, it was something I would just pass on because I simply didn't want to spend too much on skincare. People I've known before 2011 might remember my sudden breakout which happened whilst I was studying very hard at Stanford. :-s While I'm very thankful for having gone to that school and be taught by the best professors, the phrase "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times" best describes my year there. :p Anyways, since having experienced constant breakouts (didn't really leave me until after our wedding in Dec 2012 - which just meant that mine was due to stress, because unfortunately, planning a wedding was also kind of stressful for me especially when you had your skin to worry about!), I don't really mind spending/splurging on skincare.
But the reason I went to Kiehl's was actually to buy a gift for my mom. The sample I got from Nordstrom was the Super Multi-Corrective Cream, which I thought was pretty awesome. Unfortch, at my young age of 29 (eek!) I already have wrinkles. I'd like to think it's from constantly greeting/nodding/smiling at people and not my neglect of putting moisturizer. When I tried the cream, my skin looked supple the next day and the wrinkles not as obvious. Well, with words like 'super' and 'multi', I'm sold. :) So I got this for my mom and even though it hurt (my bank account), I don't regret buying it. My mom's happy with it too, which is great. Anyway, I was told that if I get 2 products I'd get 3 small items free. I grabbed the chance because I love promos (and use them to justify buying another unnecessary item). So I got me some Kiehl's too.
Before I talk about what I bought, I should tell you that I went there a second time and also fell into the trap of getting a 2nd unnecessary item to get other free items... and buying something of a certain price to claim points and get another free item. :-s So in the end these are what I end up with.
1. Blemish Control Daily Skin-Clearing Treatment. This feels light and quite liquidy for a spot application, but it's probably because it can (or meant to) be spread on the whole face if desired. I have much clearer skin now, and I'm not sure who to thank for that (Stieva-A, Avene, my hormones settling down?), so I can't tell how effective this is in curing pimples. I'm using it though as a form of prevention and for my spots. My pimple marks are quite faded now too - I remember having a really obvious one a week before Christmas that became significantly lighter in about less than a week's time, which my facial therapist also noticed and was amazed by. So it might be this product working (I will come up with more helpful and clearer reviews next time!).
3. Creme de Corps Soy Milk & Honey Body Polish. I must admit this was the 2nd unnecessary item. This was proof of my realization that I get 'sales-talked' easily. The item itself sounded so yummy: luxurious creamy formula, shea and jojoba butters, sweet almond oil with luffa. And I'd say it delivers. Gives you the things it claims to do - soft, smooth and hydrated skin. This actually makes me excited to take a bath. :)
4. All these freebies! What I love about Kiehl's is their generous samples. Some I gave to my mom and my sis-in-law. Here are what I'm left with:
- Powerful Wrinkle Reducing Eye Cream, Wrinkle & Pore Reducing Cream
- Rare Earth Deep Pore Cleanser, Cleansing Masque, Pore Minimizing Lotion
- Clearly Corrective White Clarity-Activating Toner, Purifying Foaming Cleanser
- Double Strength Deep Wrinkle Filler (Oh dear! Will use this when I'm desperate!)
- Midnight Recovery Eye
And because I claimed my Kiehl's points (I got double points because it was my birthday month last December) I got a full-size Clearly Corrective White Skin Brightening Exfoliator. I haven't opened this yet because I still have my Dermalogica exfoliants and also because I'm not too keen on using exfoliators that have beads or the like (for fear of spreading bacteria if you have pimples, which I'm sort of free of at the moment). It sounds promising though but not as tempting as their other products that have all the keywords you're looking for.
As a summary, I'm quite happy with my purchases. Quite because they're still expensive, and the BB cream made my T-zone so oily. Not sure I would buy these stuff again except for the Blemish Control Daily Skin-Clearing Treatment, which I think is a good substitute for Stieva-A especially when the time comes that I can't apply tretinoin cream anymore. :) And if I ever run out of facial cleanser and masque, I'll probably buy the Rare Earth ones (I've tried them and was satisfied). As for my shopping experience, I'd say it was fun! Helpful sales people, not too pushy, and generous samples (I went to the Trinoma branch). I'd go back to Kiehl's again (only) if I'm comfortable splurging, but will definitely do my own research first and then be happily swayed when I get there. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment