We're going home in 21 days! The past weeks my mind was just everywhere, but mostly torn between news from the motherland, and my excitement about going home. I can't not acknowledge that Filipinos are still reeling from the tragedy caused by Typhoon Haiyan. I am extremely grateful for all the help and generosity that other countries have extended to the Philippines, and of course, for Filipinos both at home and abroad, who have done the same. I remember quoting Desiderata during a similar disaster brought by Typhoon Ketsana (Ondoy) a few years back: Everywhere, life is full of heroism.
But I choose to write on a lighter note today, just because I can't contain my excitement about being home. Yesterday Raymund and I celebrated our 11th month of being married. Well, not really. It went on like this: me asking him to check my IG (he's logged in on my IG in his phone), telling him it's our 11th month, him smiling nervously and saying 'that's why we're watching a movie!' and us grabbing a quick bite from Sushi Station and then running off to the theater to not miss our movie reservation. HAHA. I've learned a long time ago not to feel offended about him forgetting dates (especially after I finished reading the book I've been plugging for months now: Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps) - as long as he doesn't forget to buy me the stuff in my wishlist for 3 occasions this December: my birthday, our anniversary and Christmas! :p
Lest I sound too self-absorbed if I blog about my wishlist, I'll just talk about things I'm looking forward to and some reasonable stuff I'd like to get for the said 3 occasions! :)
Lest I sound too self-absorbed if I blog about my wishlist, I'll just talk about things I'm looking forward to and some reasonable stuff I'd like to get for the said 3 occasions! :)
1. Dinner & brunch with friends in SG. Unfortunately it's such a short time to catch up with dear friends like Crazy, The Moons, Brian and my sister-in-law Thessa. But I'm still happy to have this overnight layover in SG and definitely excited to see everyone again. I'm thinking Makansutra by the bay, and kaya toast for brekky!
2. Shopping. It's no secret that things are more expensive here in Australia. Shopping in SG means GST is refundable. :) I told my friend Crazy that I plan to be in Orchard as soon as the malls open. But the more I think about it, the more it sounds convenient and wise to shop at Changi Airport instead. I'm sure they have MAC and perfume stores there. The only other thing that's not clothes, accessories or makeup that I want to buy is this. I need a new mixer!! How cute is it? Kitchenaide is quite expensive so if I can't find a good deal, any other stainless steel mixer would do.
3. Eating Asian and Christmas food, which would include: peanut roll from Polland (not the country but the hopia store! I don't know what it's called exactly but my mom usually buys this for me when I'm home), bibingka, Baliwag liempo, Tokyo Tokyo beef misono, Yoshinoya gyudon, seafood dishes, eclairs from Beard Papa's, maybe some Chewy Jr cream puffs, and of course Mr Bean pancakes (and maybe some pork floss from Bread Pan - I'm quite embarrassed to say this because it's so unhealthy!). Come to think of it, I am actually not missing as much Filipino dishes as I used to, maybe because there's not a lot that have veggies in them and most of what I remember being excited about as a kid are fried.
4. Cooking for family and friends. I don't have a lot of awesome dishes in my repertoire but I know a few. :) The secret is butter! But since I also plan to cook healthy for my folks, I'll try to cook with lots of veggies and without oil.
5. The Farm at San Benito. We are still on the waiting list because we chose a date that's in their peak season. Still, I'm so looking forward to amazing vegetarian food and some relaxation.
Us at Makansutra 2 years ago
2. Shopping. It's no secret that things are more expensive here in Australia. Shopping in SG means GST is refundable. :) I told my friend Crazy that I plan to be in Orchard as soon as the malls open. But the more I think about it, the more it sounds convenient and wise to shop at Changi Airport instead. I'm sure they have MAC and perfume stores there. The only other thing that's not clothes, accessories or makeup that I want to buy is this. I need a new mixer!! How cute is it? Kitchenaide is quite expensive so if I can't find a good deal, any other stainless steel mixer would do.
3. Eating Asian and Christmas food, which would include: peanut roll from Polland (not the country but the hopia store! I don't know what it's called exactly but my mom usually buys this for me when I'm home), bibingka, Baliwag liempo, Tokyo Tokyo beef misono, Yoshinoya gyudon, seafood dishes, eclairs from Beard Papa's, maybe some Chewy Jr cream puffs, and of course Mr Bean pancakes (and maybe some pork floss from Bread Pan - I'm quite embarrassed to say this because it's so unhealthy!). Come to think of it, I am actually not missing as much Filipino dishes as I used to, maybe because there's not a lot that have veggies in them and most of what I remember being excited about as a kid are fried.
Chewy Jr cream puff - they're definitely something. But IMO, I think I make better ones. :)
4. Cooking for family and friends. I don't have a lot of awesome dishes in my repertoire but I know a few. :) The secret is butter! But since I also plan to cook healthy for my folks, I'll try to cook with lots of veggies and without oil.
5. The Farm at San Benito. We are still on the waiting list because we chose a date that's in their peak season. Still, I'm so looking forward to amazing vegetarian food and some relaxation.
Coconut bacon for brekky?
6. Weddings. December last year was chaotic but happy chaotic. I went to 3 weddings including my own. The madness of last year's wedding preps felt like ages ago actually, but the memories still vivid! Madness in that we were crazy busy, not because we're the bride/groom-zilla type who wanted a big production, but simply because we were pressed for time, meeting suppliers and trying to do stuff ourselves on the short time we had in Manila. Raymund and I didn't even get a prenup shoot because even our photographer was booked out. This year, we have at least 3 weddings to attend. I have two dresses at the moment, a long brown gown I'm recycling from last year and a beige/light brown dress that I bought from my trip in June. I seriously have to wear other colours! I'm thinking plum to go with my Craving lipstick (ikr, it's usually the other way around!). Boy am I glad I know more about makeup now! But more than getting dressed up, I'm so excited to celebrate these momentous occasions with the couples!
Because of my one-shoulder dress, I'm thinking of side-swept curls. :D
7. Saving the best for last - catching up with family and friends in PH. I hope we have time for KTV!! :) And Starbucks or Cinnabon for chats. Christmas at home is something I will always miss and will try to be there for. I'm just beyond happy to be celebrating Noche Buena and Christmas with our relatives. :)
Christmas display at Cupcakes by Sonja a few years ago
See you friends soon! :)








No comments:
Post a Comment